What Wiki Edits Are
What Wiki Edits Are (hereinafter, the Lectio) is the lesson part of Wiki Editing Essentials lesson that introduces its participants to wiki edit concepts. This lesson belongs to the CNMCT Entrance section of the CNM Cyber Placement.
- A wiki edit is any edit of any wikipage. At CNM Wiki, these edits are also called "contributions". Every user who are logged in can easily start editing while clicking on the "Edit" tab in the upper menu of the page or similar tabs in various page sections if these sections exist.
- You can format the page text or its formatting. CNM Wiki is built on a commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) wiki engine called MediaWiki. This engine features its own markup editor to mark the pages up.
- To make any text a heading, this text should be surrounded by double equal signs like
==This is a heading==and the left sign should start from the beginning of the line.
- A subheading can be created similarly, but, instead of double equal signs, triple equal signs must be used. For instance,
===This is a subheading===
- To bold any text, you should surround this text with triple apostrophes; the
'''bold'''markup would make this text to look like bold on the page.
- Double apostrophes surrounding any text would make this text Italic; the
''Italic''markup would make this text to look like Italic on the page.
- To make a link from a text on one page to another wikipage, this text should be taken in double square brackets like
[[this text is another page's title]]. The text in the brackets will become the title of another page. If this page exists, the link will be displayed as blue; if this page doesn't, the link would be displayed as red.
- MediaWiki is created to power Wikipedia, one of the most visited websites in the Internet. Besides its own markup language, MediaWiki also takes some versions of HTML. To make more advanced editing, you can consult the official website of MediaWiki at www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki -- just type what you are looking for in the search bar.
- The markup to create "About CNM Cyber" as a link to a new wiki page would be: