The Activity allows the teacher to design and build quizzes consisting of a large variety of Question types, including multiple choice, true-false, short answer and drag and drop images and text. These questions are kept in the Question bank and can be re-used in different quizzes.
In one of the quiz settings you create the quiz activity and set its options which specify the rules for interacting with the quiz and another method you add questions to the quiz.
First set up your quiz using; Add an activity or resource > Quiz:
You will get the following settings
Note: these settings can also be changed later in the Edit Settings link of the Quiz administration settings block. All settings may expanded by clicking the "Expand all" link top right. These settings include;
- General - Add a name here (students will click on this name to access the quiz) and, if desired a description of what they must do.
- Timing - When creating a quiz you can specify times when the quiz is accessible for people to make attempts. Several timing options exist, for example;
- Open the quiz; before open the quiz time the quiz will be unavailable to students.
- Close the quiz; - After closing time, students will not be able to attempt the quiz. After the quiz has closed students will still be able to see the quiz description and review their attempts. What exactly they will see depends on the settings you choose for review options.
- Time limit; - By default, quizzes do not have a time limit. When a teacher specify a time to complete the quiz a count down timer is displayed in the navigation block to assist students finish in time. In the event that the time runs out, the quiz is submitted automatically with whatever answers have been filled.
What happens when the time runs out? There are three options of what will happen when the time runs out in during a timed quiz. From the drop down menu, you can select either of the following options;
- Open attempts are submitted automatically - This is the default
- There is a grace period when open attempts can be submitted, but no more questions answered
- Attempts must be submitted before time expires, or they are not counted.
If you select "There is a grace period..." then you can check the box to enable the "Submission grace period" and specify a period of time during which learners may still submit the quiz after the time is up.
For more information on grading and grade category, refer to Grading System page discussed earlier on this course.